|Course Title||Islamic Ontology (Common Subject)|
|Method of Evaluation|
|Course Synopsis (course description)||Ontology is a science of being qua being. This subject gives sufficient discourses in relation to being or al-wujud as expounded in Islamic philosophy. Basically in Islamic Philosophy the discourses in ontology which are known as al-falsafah bi ma’na al-a’am (philosophy in its general sense) or al-umur al-‘ammah (general properties) are divided into various divisions. and all-these divisions are related to existence qua existence in its different aspects.
This subject is considered as a common subject in this particular curriculum
WEEKLY PLANNER, TOPICS AND READINGS
|Week||Topics||Description of the Topics||Recommended Readings|
|1||Introduction to ontology
|2||The concept of existence; the distinction between concept (al-mafhum) and extension (al-misdaq) or haqiqat al-wujud (reality of being), the concept of existence is self-evident and univocal.
|3||Al-wujud and al-mahiyat; the distinction between Essentia and Existentia
|The Primacy of existence and quiddity|
|5||Unity and multiplicity
|6||The gradation or ambiguityof existence|
|7||On the mental and concrete existences
|8||The three modes of existence in relation to the matters of propositions – al-wujub, al-imkan and al-imtina’ (necessity, possibility and impossibility);
|9||The principle of causation;
|10||On the potential (bi l-quwwah) and the actual (bi l-fi’il); in relation to motion and the different kinds of motion including substantial motion.
|11||On the eternal (al-qadim) and the contingent (al-hadith)
|12||On the intellect (al-‘aql), the subject and the object of intellect (al-‘Aqil and al-ma’qul)
– Philosophical Instructions; Misbah Yazdi
– Bidayat al-Hikmah, Allamah Tabatabaie (translation in English).
– Ta’alimat al-Falsafah, Misbah Yazdi.
– The Metaphysics of Sabzawari, Toshihiko Izutsu
– The Concept and Reality of Existence, Toshihiko Izutsu
– The Translation of the Manzumeh of Sabzawari, Izutsu and Mehdi Muhaqqiq
– Bidayat al-Hikmah, Allamah Tabatabaie
– Nihayat al-Hikmah, Allamah Tabatabaie
– Philosophical Instructions, M. Taqi Misbah Yazdi
– The concept of existence, Toshihiko Izutsu